Monday, February 8, 2010

Rapid Construction in China

In case you haven't heard, I got back to Nanjing safe and sound last week. Last night I went to visit my host family for dinner and to give them their New Year's gifts I'd bought them in Europe. It was great fun; we chatted for over 3 hours and they thought it was hilarious that I had a hard time understanding Irish English. My host brother was absorbed in a video game most of the time, but what 15 year old isn't these days? He loved the soccer jersey I brought him from Madrid. I am excited to move back with them at the end of the month. (I am living in the dorms until after orientation and the beginning of the semester, which will start after the Chinese New Year, which is a week-long celebration that begins on February 14th this year.)

As I was walking down our street from the bus stop, I noticed that the apartment complex next to ours that had been under construction was already finished! Luckily, I had taken a picture of this apartment complex for a class project so I have a "before" picture.

Before- This picture was taken in December 2009
After- This was taken in February 2010.


This was really amazing to me, even though I know how quickly construction projects can get done in China. Often they employ members of the "floating population"-- people who move to the cities temporarily to find work-- and the workers will work literally work 16-18 hours a day so that they can finish the project early and go back home to their families in the countryside. But to actually see the change was pretty surprising for me, even if the frame had already been built!

More news from Nanjing to come shortly! Also stay posted for the New Year's celebrations coming up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment