Today I decided to start taking GongFu (commonly known in the West as Kungfu) classes. The type of martial art is called SanDa and includes kicking, punching and wrestling. Besides a few months of TaiJiQuan (Taichi) I've never done any kind of martial art, so today was really challenging, but fun and exciting.
The new students for the Spring Semester arrived last Thursday and I showed them around the neighborhood. My other friends from last semester also came back to Nanjing last Saturday, so we've been getting ourselves into the usual shenanigans. It's been fantastic to be back, especially with my friends from last semester, and I'm beginning to think that I might never leave... When I do think about the fact that I have to come back to the US to finish another year of school, I start to get choked up and tears come to my eyes. So I decided to write a little ode to China.
10 Things I Love About China
1. Outward or physical appearance is not the most important thing.
2. The food is delicious.
3. Everything is cheap.
4. I've never in my life experienced anything that comes close to Chinese hospitality.
5. You serve other people before you serve yourself. In terms of food and drink, that is.
6. You can bargain.
7. Chinese work ethic amazes me everyday.
8. The Chinese language is so logical.
9. It has so many beautiful treasures, like parks and mountains, the countryside,
10. Despite the outward impression of being very homogeneous, it's incredibly diverse.
China's like that. . . once you are hooked, it won't let go.
ReplyDeleteI'll be thinking of you and Grace. . .I am SO full of envy.
Pictures will be posted as soon as possible....
ReplyDeleteDon't be envious... I already feel sad for the day I have to leave. Why does life have to be that way? So many good things, but with those good things, come sad things, like leaving the place that you love.
We will need to "de-brief" when you get back to the states. It's hard to be depressed about missing China when no one understands. People get a bit offended, thinking that you're not happy to be home with them.
ReplyDeleteHaha sorry, I had a bit of an emo moment. I'm glad you understand. :-)
ReplyDelete