Friday, August 14, 2009

So do you want to know my story?

I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for the first 18 years of my life, where I grew up with my older sister, Ruth, my parents, Jim and Marnie and my Grandpa, Jack. I attended 4 different grade schools, both private and public, but I attribute much of my solid educational foundation to the four years I spent at Oakland Catholic, an all-girls high school. It was there that I met ten of the prettiest, funniest, wackiest best friends of my life, as well as my boyfriend Adam. My interest in international affairs also began in high school, during which I took three World History courses, including AP World History, was a member of the school’s Human Rights Coalition and volunteered for almost 3 years at the Pittsburgh Refugee Services Program.

After I graduated in 2007, I studied International Studies at University of Chicago for one year and worked for the Chicago Public Schools tutoring and mentoring children and teenagers in homeless shelters. I could write a book about my experiences there, but the most important thing was that I developed a passion for child welfare, as well as an interest in working for the government. I transferred to George Washington University and was accepted in September of 2008 for a 12-month Research Assistantship (aka internship) with the Office of the Secretary of Defense in the Office of Military Family Policy & Children and Youth. I've always known that I would spend my junior year abroad and so I recently enrolled in Nanjing University through a partnership with the Council on International Educational Exchange and George Washington University.

In case you couldn't tell from that description, I have an interest in about a million different things. Although I've been interested in international affairs since high school, my interests have changed dramatically, from Africa to Asia, from non-profit to government work, refugees to homelessness, impoverished children to military children, from public policy to international business.... the list goes on and on. Basically, I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up, but right now I want to be a consultant for international businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment