Jiujitsu is kind of like a cult. We’ve got our own language, culture, and rituals. Once you start, it becomes a way of life. Jiujitsu can have almost religious qualities. Jiujitsu practitioners are part of something greater than themselves. They are more than simply members of their gym. As jiujitsu practitioners, they are part of a greater movement. This entity is not just a sport but a way to better individuals, their communities, and, dare I say, the world. Jiujitsu betters people and the world around them through the discipline, artistic expression, and mutual bonding that jiujitsu allows. It’s not unlike the military or 12-step programs, where the group forms a culture and an identity.
People who do jiujitsu, including myself, often say things like, “Jiujitsu saved my life.” Jiujitsu offers an adrenaline rush that can help people quit other substances. Jiujitsu provides a consistent and regular routine that helps people get back on track after losing their way to other toxic habits. It extends confidence for people who otherwise might be small or weak (or at least seen by the world as such). And it presents community in a world that is more fractured and isolated than ever. People like myself who do jiujitsu truly believe they are making themselves better people by doing the sport (after all, it teaches the importance of humility, grace, patience, and persistence in the very nature of the art). And they make the world a better place by extension.
Jiujitsu coaches often give speeches at the end of class encouraging their students to take what they’re learning on the mat out into their workplace, families, and interactions: stepping beyond ego; using failures as opportunities; and persisting through adversity and hardship. Jiujitsu teaches that a calm mindset can get you through anything. These are all important lessons that are helpful off the mat, too. Coaches explicitly send the message that we are not practicing the art just to practice a sport or get in shape, we are doing it to bring those lessons into other parts of their lives. And they’re absolutely right. I do think that jiujitsu is one small thing in the world that is helping people and by extension our communities and our world, a better place.
I love jiujitsu like I love God. Ok, Ok, I know that’s bit extreme but hear me out here. Jiujitsu is a source of powerful energy because going to jiujitsu practice isn’t all about me. It’s about us, the community. It’s about the dance. It’s about playing with others. I don’t always go just to exercise or learn new techniques. I go to add something new, to be creative, to be a good training partner, to make someone’s night or at least make their day a little better. I go because my presence adds something. My playful creativity helps everyone around me improve on and off the mat. It took me a long time to realize and appreciate that, and it’s something I still have to remind myself about. And it’s true for each person that steps onto the mat. Their presence adds one more spice to the soup. The more flavorful and creative the soup, the more enjoyable it is. And so, jiujitsu is almost like a religion because it creates a unique community that cannot function well without the devotion of all of its members to making the world a better and more creative and playful place.
No comments:
Post a Comment