The pictures of the nice kitchen are from a penthouse apartment of one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Nanjing. Every Saturday I do a language exchange (2 hours of Chinese and 2 hours of English) with a 13-year old boy at this ridiculous apartment. He goes to the Nanjing Foreign Language School, which is considered the best middle school in Nanjing. Here is a picture of the school notebook he uses:
I love his notebook because it captures the conflict that China has found itself to be in: torn between the old and the new, the domestic and the foreign, Chinese and international. As it is an official "Nanjing Foreign Language School" notebook, it encapsulates the feelings of so many of the students planning to go abroad for college: How should I be open to foreign things, ideas, and cultures, while maintaining a Chinese identity? How does a country and its people develop its economy and raise its standard of living without sacrificing its people? I also thought of my own research topic- How have Chinese people maintained their "Chinese soul", that is, their sense of identity and cultural traditions amongst such rapid change? How has urban housing redevelopment and structural change (homes to apartments) changed social and cultural behaviors?
Anyway, he and I have a lot of fun, mostly because his English is so good. We've had philosophical discussions about aliens and their existence ("What about the Transformers?"), as well as about God and its existence. We had a particularly good time last week when I used an ESL activity I'd found on the Internet. You ask, "Grandma is going on a train trip. She is coming to visit you. In her bag, she has..." and then you list something she has in her bag for every letter of the alphabet. Here is his list:
Here are pictures of his ridiculous kitchen (I say ridiculous because these kitchens are so rare in China, from my experience only the wealthiest families, like the kids I tutored last year, have kitchens like this. I say this and yet, kitchens like this are pretty common in the US, I think.... what a world we live in):
| The washing machine is in the kitchen. I've seen a lot of kitchens like this, including my own, in China. |
| This is Lao Tai's kitchen, she cooks here every day while tending to business in her shop. The circular tube in the bottom left-hand corner is her wood stove. |
| A close-up of Lao Tai's wood-burning stove. She lights the wood on fire and then puts the piece of coal (the black thing with holes in it) on top. |
| Ta-da! Lunch is made, this is all on the street outside Lao Tai's second-hand clothing shop. |
| The product of one such kitchen- beef with noodles- YUM! |
Chinese word of the day:
蛋白- dan4 bai2- literally "egg white", aka protein
The kitchen is the heart of the home. Especially an open-air kitchen!
ReplyDelete