Wednesday, September 2, 2009

饺子 (Dumplings)

I just found out that I have been using skin whitening cream as face wash for the past week. I bought it because I really needed face wash and the only thing I could read on the bottle said "Nice Face."(You can see the picture below)  I was perusing through the drug store today and I saw the green bottle of Nice Face on the shelf. Next to it was a bottle that looked similar but it said "face whitening milk" in English. Then I started thinking about how the stuff that I was putting on my face didn't really seem very much like soap. When I got back to the dorm, I pulled out my dictionary and started looking up the characters on the Nice Face bottle. At the top it said, "Blooming flower facial cleansing milk" but a little lower down on the bottle, sure enough, it clearly read "Silky nutritional white skin treatment and protection." Now I know why my skin was looking so white recently. No wait, my skin is always this pale.

 

Today a few of us decided that we wanted to go get dumplings after class for lunch. We didn't know how much to order, so we based our order on how much the dumplings cost. When the fuwuyuan asked how much I wanted, I said "4, please" because that cost me 12 yuan (less than $2 USD) and that seemed about right for lunch. Most of us ordered 4 or 5. We thought we would be getting 4 or 5 dumplings. Turns out that you order them in sets of 4 so we each got 4 times the amount that we thought. I ended up getting 16 dumplings! When the fuwuyuan brought them out to us, everyone in the place was staring at us. We must have looked ridiculous—each of us had enough dumplings for 2 or 3 people. It's 8 hours later and I'm still completely stuffed. I don't even want to think about eating another dumpling again. Ever.

3 comments:

  1. skin whitening cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG. lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah,yes. Ordering dumplings. Did I tell you the story about when my friends and I ended up with four platters of dumplings? I was the only one who spoke any Chinese, so I was doing the ordering. The "unit" issue always confused me. Was I ordering a jin? A platter?
    We had four other dishes as well. It didn't impact my dumpling addiction however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was watching TV last night and there were mad advertisements for skin whiteners.

    That's sooo great Ms. McNulty. I will never understand anything in China. haha

    ReplyDelete