I take back all my sympathy for people learning English. Chinese is officially the hardest language in the world.
Ok, I am exaggerating and there are aspects of English that definitely make is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn. However, I am experiencing major frustrations with Chinese. I've been in China for over 4 weeks now, and I'm dissappointed that I'm not more conversant. I'm struggling to make the jump from everyday conversation to more meaningful things.
Also there was a major setback on the Internet proxy front. It turns out that that the proxy that all my friends and I have been using has somehow been shut down by the government. I'll let you know when I can view my blog and Facebook again. We really thought we had outsmarted them this time but apparently not.
This afternoon, my ayi told me that we were eating 螃蟹 for dinner. I didn't know what that was, so she offered to show me. She took me into the kitchen and lifted up a cutting board on the sink to reveal 8 crabs running around. It was then that I realized that I am officially afraid of crabs. Later, my didi brought me into the kitchen and pointed to one of the big pots they have. I could hear the crabs running around inside the pot, and I could look through its glass lid and watch them being steamed to death! I know this is common in the US, but I'd never seen it before and it was so crazy/scary/strange/I don't even know what. Then we ate the crabs, which I've never done before, and I semi-succeeded, but my ayi still had to give me the crab leg meat like a 2 year old. haha. It was a new experience for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment