This was a letter I wrote last week after learning of my grandmother's death on May 7th, and was read out-loud by my aunt at her funeral yesterday.
Dear Grandma,
We’re not so different, you and I. Some people say that
characteristics skip a generation. Is that what happened with us? Because we’re
both super sassy, you and I. Did you know that when I was a little girl and
being a smart mouth, my parents would tell me, “you’re being like your grandma”?
Maybe it was their way of telling me that I was being too honest; I was saying
out loud what I thought. Whether or not it was true was beside the point. I was
saying it without thinking first about the way that it might hurt someone else.
I’m still like that, sassy and straightforward with my emotions and my
thoughts. It gets me into trouble sometimes. Okay, much of the time. But
sometimes it’s a good thing. It helps people to know what I’m thinking and what
I need. It helps me to be honest.
It’s only now that I know such talk was your way of showing
that you cared. It was your way of showing love. It was also your way of
showing your insecurity, your vulnerability, and your anxiety. I know that you always
only wanted the best for Ruth and me. You wanted us to be in a safe environment
growing up. You wanted us to be healthy. You were also insecure about yourself,
your own body, and your own life, and perhaps you projected this shame onto my
family and me. Is this why you would leave without saying good-bye? I know that
you loved me, and you wanted to be close with me, and you wanted to protect me.
It is only now that I realize you were feeling intense pain yourself, and you
wanted to show your love for me, perhaps protect me somehow from feeling the
same shame you felt.
There is something else that we share in common. Perhaps a
propensity to isolate ourselves, move to far-away lands that are not easily
accessible to family and friends. Me? China. You? Rural Michigan. Perhaps we
did this because we have a vision for ourselves and our health and happiness.
For you, it was easy access to hiking, biking, and swimming that you chose to
make a priority. For me, it’s easy access to learning foreign languages and
working with different cultures. But perhaps in doing so we ended up isolating
ourselves and our relationships. Perhaps we built walls without even realizing
it. Perhaps when we built those walls, others don’t have the energy to knock on
them, and they just give up. And so, we too give up, and then 20 years pass and
you’re gone and the opportunities I had to visit you are gone. I’ll never have
another opportunity to go swimming with you, or eat ice cream on the beach, or
watch fireworks on the harbor, or ride my decorated bike in the parade with
Sam, or read on your living room couch, or go swimming at the club house, or
take walks in the woods with you. Those things will never be able to happen
again. I didn’t take the opportunity to do those things with you when the
chance presented itself, and I can never get that lost time back.
But maybe there is still some hope here, maybe I can go back
to Presque Isle and visit your grave and go biking in the streets and swimming
in the lake. Maybe I can bring my kids here on summer vacation and we’ll watch
the fireworks and the parade on Fourth of July and we’ll think of you and I’ll
tell them stories of your tenaciousness and your spunk and your sass and your
honesty. And I’ll tell them that you left me with perhaps the most important
lesson of all: don’t give up on your relationships because they don’t reach
out, or they’re far away, or they’ve put up walls that you don’t understand.
Talk to them, tell them what you want the relationship to be like, ask them, “why
are you putting up walls?” I know it’s not your fault that we didn’t spend a
lot of time together when I was younger, just as it’s not my fault either.
Maybe you were too scared, maybe you were not able to be vulnerable with us the
way we needed you to be. But that was the only way you knew how to show us that
you cared. Perhaps in this way you have given me a gift, shown me how much we
need each other, and how our relationships are worth saving and worth talking
about no matter how much hostility there was in the beginning. Because at the
end of the day all we have are our relationships.
You and I didn’t always understand each other. But maybe
that’s because we are so similar that we couldn’t see that we were staring at
each other in the mirror, our defense mechanisms and our anxieties clouding our
relationships and making it hard for people to feel close to us. Regardless, I
know you love me and I hope you know that I love you too, always and forever. I
will come back here with my own children to show them the place that you loved
so much. I’ll think of you, and I’ll remember why you loved it here so much and
I’ll remember that life is short, something to be treasured.
Over Thanksgiving last year, you said to me between
laborious breaths over the phone, “I doubt I will ever see you again.” I knew
then that I had to come back to Michigan to see you, and I did. Me with my
concussion, you with your weak heart. A weak heart that was actually not weak
at all but stronger than any of us could have ever imagined, pounding through
your chest and keeping you breathing throughout the winter, the blood pulsing
through your veins as you gasped for oxygen. We laid next to each other in bed,
sleeping and holding hands, you scowling at me when I accidentally touched your
back with cold hands. We slept and listened to the radio and laughed and cried
together.
Again, we are not so different, you and I. You had panic
attacks in the same way I did, hyperventilating and confused, scared but not
sure about what. “I am NOT scared to die,” you insisted over and over again. We
talked about it, and you begged and pleaded with me: “I want to die, I want to
die,” you told me over and over again. “I know, I know,” was all I could say
while holding your hand. “It’s going to be okay,” was all I could say between
my tears. I knew how you felt. I had felt it only a few weeks before, after
sick with a concussion I had fearful images of me dying and what my funeral
would look like, images that would leave me in the throes of panic attacks.
My concussion was painful, but I don’t regret a single
minute, a single move that I made. That concussion brought me back to you,
brought me back to Michigan so we could celebrate Christmas and New Year’s
together. That concussion brought us closer than we ever had been, allowed us
to spend more time together in one stretch than I can ever remember. And what a
gift that was. What an honor that was to spend that time with you. Thank you
for letting me take care of you. You were vulnerable with me, letting me do and
see things that were embarrassing, letting me into that part of your life, into
that private space that I had never before seen before. Letting me see that
vulnerable side of you, for before you had always put up a shield for me. It was
a shield made of love, a shield made out of protection for me and my safety and
health, but it was a shield nonetheless. This winter, both of us sick and lying
in bed, we were finally able to be vulnerable together. And perhaps for the
first time in our lives we were able to sit in peace together.
I had a dream about you recently. I was taking care of you
in your hospital bed and you kept thrashing around uncontrollably. I was trying
to hold you down, but I couldn’t and you almost knocked over the computer that
was next to your bed. There was a bottle of cat shampoo that I just had to pour
into a plastic bag, but it kept spilling all over the floor and all over me.
While I was distracted, you escaped. You rode off in your nightgown on a boat,
sailing off into the lake’s horizon. Later, the lake froze over and you came
walking back to me on the ice and we embraced.
Grandma, I know you’ll always be there for me, even if it is
only through memories and stories. I’m glad you were finally able to escape the
misery you were in and I hope you’re out there, riding on boats and skiing and
swimming and hiking with Sam and Hope like you love to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment