Monday, April 17, 2017

Uyghur names are so much better than English names

I did a post on this in 2011 about Chinese names (Chinese names are so awesome), so I thought I'd do one on Uyghur names too, since Uyghur names have really cool meanings.

Just as a preface, a lot of Uyghur people, especially men, have Arabic, Persian, or Turkish names that they may not know the meanings of, or they may just have made-up names that sound nice, like we have for Amy or Taylor. Some also have names of famous people from Islam or the Arab world, just we have for people from the bible. The following list does not include popular Uyghur names from Arabic or the Quran, but only includes the most popular names in Uyghur with meanings in Uyghur.

Female names:

Dilnur- Light of the Soul

Guljennet- Paradise Flower

Aygul- Moon Flower

Aynur- Moonlight

Muqeddes- Sacred

Merhaba- Welcome

Muhebbet- Love and Affection

Mihriban- Kind and Good

Gulbanum- Flower Queen 

Zilala- Pure

Melike- Princess

Male names:

Erkin- Freedom

Adil- Fair/Just

Tursun- Stay (often given to children born after their mother has suffered several miscarriages, it's a wish for this one to stay here on earth). 

Muxterjan- Chosen Life

Kamil- Expert

Hemrahjan- Life companion

I love Uyghur names! They have such deep and beautiful meanings. It's always fun when I learn a new word in Uyghur and realize it is actually a popular name. 


No comments:

Post a Comment