Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dragon Boat Festival

On June 23, 2012 the Chinese celebrated the Dragon Boat Festival, when they eat sticky flavored rice with pork wrapped in bamboo leaves and race dragon boats (like crew) with paddles and drummers. I loved the sound of the drums, both the war cry-like drumming at the beginning and the steady rhythm during the race to keep the competitors in sync.

It was extra special because 4 friends--two guys from the jiujitsu club and their girlfriends--were competing in the races as representatives of the British School of Nanjing. It was fun watching them and cheering them on.

Here's a video of one of the races I put on YouTube.

Here's another video of us cheering for the rowers

Here are some pictures I took on the day:

3 boats raced at a time, then the best times from each race would move on to the next round








Oh, China and your pollution... this was actually quite a sunny day for Nanjing!

No comments:

Post a Comment