Thursday, January 5, 2012

Snapshots of Daily Life at the Park in Old Nanjing

I spent the afternoon reading and writing field notes under this pagoda

The woman with the turquoise collar is singing loudly and poorly into a microphone in this picture while elderly men stand around listening. Much to my dismay, karaoke in the park has become quite popular among people that have zero singing ability.

The retired people of Old Nanjing lined up against the City Wall, taking in the warmth of the sun on this frigid winter afternoon.

Some guys hang out in the sun next to a little bamboo forest.

Playing cards attracts a crowd


I take a break from my work to practice qi gong, a combination of strength training and meditation. I've taken a liking to practicing qi gong in the mornings at the park, which allows me to not only realign my body after jiujistu practice and calm my anxiety, but also to meet the curious passerby.

Afterward, I went to the supermarket, only to be bombarded by hordes of the hurried Chinese consumer getting ready for the Chinese New Year.

The aisles were bumper-to-bumper with people pushing their carts and trying to get to the sale items.
Chinese word of the day:

授权- shou4 quan2- literally, "to award power," aka to authorize

I learned this word after visiting the supposedly "authorised" Mac re-seller in Nanjing. haha yeah right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment