I leave for China in 5 hours. After a week of shopping to stock up on the essentials (deodorant, contact solution, floss aka this is why Chinese people have bad breath, curly hair spray), I'm packed and ready to go. I agonized for a couple weeks over what gifts to bring my adviser, professors, and friends in Nanjing. Everything was either too heavy, too boring, too cheap, or too expensive. I finally thought of the perfect solution: homemade brownies and chocolate chip cookies (well, from a mix but they're basically homemade and very delicious). They're cooling on the counter now, and I'll pack them in Ziploc bags before I leave for the airport. They just need to clear customs and not get too squished in my over-packed luggage. They also need to get past my grandpa. He just walked in to the living room with two chocolate chip cookies and asked me what I was doing up so late.
I can say my last day in the States was mostly a success: went running with Dad, got cleared by the dentist, finished up some grad school applications, played badminton with the family, and ate a classic American cheeseburger. The only bad thing that happened was that I accidentally put liquid dishwasher soap instead of dishwasher detergent into the dishwasher and there were white suds exploding out of the dishwasher, flooding the entire kitchen floor, and leaking down into the basement. I wanted to take a picture because it was kind of hilarious, but my Mom was freaking out and probably would have killed me.
Here are some pictures of my last week in the States:
 |
| My grandpa and me (obligatory Nanjing University shirt) |
 |
| My Dad and I eating Mexican food (stuffed green chili quesadilla: something I had to eat before going to China!) |
 |
| My new running shoes! I got the Vibram fivefinger shoes and I'm so excited about them! I'm just walking in them now--I have to get used to the barefoot shoe--but they are the most comfortable shoe ever! |
|
|
My trip to China will take 24 hours-- wish me luck! I'll spend the first night in Shanghai and take a train to Nanjing on Monday morning.
I like your choice of shoes.
ReplyDeleteBeth! You're going to be a weird foreigner with those shoes. Hehe. Let me know how you like them for running though.
ReplyDeleteIt really does sound like your last day was a success. Cheeseburgers and Mexican food, yum.
Why didn't you just pack brownie mix and bring it with you? lol. Or do Chinese eggs make it taste different?
YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY NOW! We are looking forward to reading about your exciting project and adventures sure to come. Love, Sue & John
ReplyDeleteWearing Vibrams in China is the best!!
ReplyDeleteNate: Thanks! I was surprised how many compliments I got on them in the two days before I left. I thought more people would think they were weird, but I guess they are trending now.
ReplyDeleteGrace: I am a weird foreigner anyway. I didn't just pack brownie mix and take it with me because China doesn't have ovens, just stovetops. They don't bake or roast things, just stirfry, so I wouldn't have had any way of making them here (let alone finding the correct pan and cookie sheets). That's why it is a special gift (I hope- I haven't found anything to wrap them in so I might have to give them out in Ziploc bags lol).
Sue: Thank you so much for your support.
Kevin: I thought of you the entire time I wore them here! I don't think I got many more stares than usual. Props to you for wearing them 2 years before they became popular.