Monday, November 16, 2009

I've never been this cold... ever

So apparently China doesn't have indoor heating. Well, at least I know that any city south of the Yangtze River doesn't have heating. Which unfortunately includes Nanjing. My Chinese family believes that indoor heating is bad for your health and that you should open all the windows in the house to improve the air circulation. It snowed yesterday. And yes, our windows were still wide open. My classmate, who is also in a homestay, said you could see his breath in the house. However, this is also the same classmate who doesn't have a mattress, he sleeps on a plank of wood. Luckily our apartment wasn't that cold, but I was still shivering pretty much the whole night. I dread taking showers. And I used to complain that my family kept the thermostat at 67 degrees...

So it snowed yesterday, one of the earliest times of the year that it's ever snowed in Nanjing. I found out that this apparently was caused by China's "Weather Modification Team" that fires rocket shells full of silver iodide into the sky in order to create rain. This is a common practice in Beijing and other parts of China that frequently suffer from droughts. This year, a cold front came into Beijing right after they shot the silver iodide, and it caused a huge snowstorm on November 2nd. Apparently, Nanjing is just now feeling the after effects of this as the precipitation is moving south. I'm not really sure how all of this works, so google it if you have time! China's "Weather Modification Team" also diverts clouds on days of importance, including October 1st, for the National Day Parade.

So Obama's in town. Well, not my town, but in Shanghai and Beijing this week. Pretty exciting stuff. I didn't even know about it until my family was talking about it at dinner last night so I watched the video of his speech on CNN.com. Although I thought that Obama was most definitely stepping on China's toes, it was certainly interesting and I think everybody would agree that the US-China relationship is the most important in the world. Check it out: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/11/16/china.us.relations/index.html

It was also funny because in Chinese class today we just happened to study that same proverb that Obama "quoted." For those that are curious, it's "温鼓而知新 wen gu er zhi xin" which is usually translated as "Understand the present by reviewing the past." We all agreed that it wouldn't have been that hard for Obama to have learned how to say that in Chinese.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, the cold in southern China. . .
    I feel for you. Really, I do.
    My students (in Shanghai) used to talk about how they felt like "bears" for months - bundled up and not moving much. They wore the gloves with no finger tips and our classroom had a few broken windows. Not much point in fixing them.

    And as for Obama speaking Chinese . . .as much as I agree with you, perhaps his handlers don't want a John-Kennedy-at-the Berlin-wall type moment (I am a jelly donut!).
    Those tones are tricky!

    Lastly - I'm excited that Grace is going to go to Shanghai. Will you be able to join her there? I envy you both as my thoughts drift to China, cold or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES I have those gloves with no fingertips! I had to buy them for 40 kuai but they are so convenient! We call them hobo gloves...

    YES I'm thrilled that Grace is coming to Shanghai and I'm definitely planning on meeting up with her there. The only thing that would hold be back would be if her program had a rule or restriction on meeting up with friends. I wouldn't want to get her into trouble or distract her from her work!

    Are you going to be coming back to China anytime soon??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think you could really be a help for Grace in her work. . . a bit of Chinese could help get her a story that others couldn't research. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I just sent an email about combatting the cold and also sent you the address you requested.
    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete